Hi! Thanks for dropping by.
I’ve been writing and speaking about Japanese startups and innovation and about Japan market entry for a very long time. More important, I’ve been doing it for a long time. I’ve started a number of companies in Japan and have lead the Japan market entry for others.
Disrupting Japan was a labor of love that has grown much larger and much faster than I ever imagined. If you are curious about who I am and how this podcast came to be, you can find out far more than you ever wanted to know about me.
Support Disrupting Japan
Like all of the best things in life, Disrupting Japan is free. More accurately, it’s paid for by an amazing group of corporate sponsors. Sponsorship slots are limited to three per show. If you would like to support Disrupting Japan and connect with the incredibly engaged, experienced, intelligent and good-looking people that listen to the show. Send me an email at [email protected], and I’ll send you the information.
If you want me to speak at your event or need consulting and advice on your Japan market entry, please get in touch.
At least once a week, someone will ask me what my favorite episode is, and they are usually disappointed by my answer. They are all my favorite. There is not a single episode of Disrupting Japan that is not my favorite. Each guest teaches me something new, and some of the shows have crazy back-stories about how they almost never happened. Sometimes, I’ll do an interview that is not good enough to be my favorite. I don’t publish those.
They are all my favorite.
I understand that this is not a particularly helpful answer. I get it. There is so much information here, and you want to know where to start. So I created a list of the topics I get asked about the most and selected a few of my favorite conversations on each of them. This way you can start with whatever sounds the most interesting to you.
Japanese Hardware Startups
- Japan’s Laundry Folding Robot Is Taking Over Your Closet – Seven Dreamers
- IoT and the Future of Poop – D-Free
- The Hard Truth Behind Japan’s Cute Robots – Yukai
- Disrupting the Final Frontier – AxelSpace
- More about Japanese hardware startups
Women Startup Founders
Venture Capital in Japan
- Startup Fundraising in Japan – Live & Unleashed
- Why Your Startup Accelerator is Going to Die – Hiro Maeda
- Why Japanese VCs are Losing Out – James Riney of 500 Startups
- The Japan Startup Factory – Casey Wahl of Red Brick Ventures
- More about venture capital in Japan
Tim’s Thoughts on Japanese Startups
- The Real Reason Uber is Failing in Japan
- Why I turned down $500K, Pissed off my investors, and Shut down my startup
- I Was Wrong. Startups Are Not The Future of Innovation in Japan
- Japan’s Startup Renaissance – Creativity, Risk & Process
- More of Tim’s thoughts about Japanese startups